Thank you to everyone who generously donated, and those who took the time to participate and spread the word. The giveaway winners will be announced on Monday August 20th, so stay tuned!
I'm also very excited to have Stephanie from Eat.Drink.Love. guest posting today! She brought along her Quinoa Corn Cakes with Peach, Avocado & Tomato Salsa. Light and refreshing, great as an appetizer for an end of Summer BBQ.
After Stephanie and I met through FoodBuzz, we always sent positive vibes and comments each other's way. Her site is crazy popular, which isn't hard to believe since each post Stephanie shares is a piece of her artistic culinary work. Beautifully styled, presented and photographed. A food blogger I look to with very high esteem, I present to you, Stephanie from Eat.Drink.Love.
Hello Free Spirit Eater Readers! My name is Stephanie and the name of my blog is Eat. Drink. Love.!! I’m so excited to be here on Kym’s blog today! Kym was one of the first bloggers I “met” when I started blogging and it’s been such a pleasure being blogging buddies!
I firmly believe that healthy cooking does not have to be boring, so I love coming up with new and healthy recipes using fresh ingredients! Today I have made some quinoa corn cakes topped with peach, avocado, and tomato salsa! I really love quinoa. It’s so versatile and it works really well with these cakes! Instead of making a sauce, I topped it with salsa made with avocados, fresh peaches, and tomatoes! This recipe is really simple to make and is light and flavorful. These would make a great appetizer for a party if you doubled the recipe. Or, you could just eat them for lunch which is what I did!
Quinoa Corn Cakes with Peach, Avocado, & Tomato Salsa – Makes about 8 cakes
For the corn cakes
- ¼ cup uncooked quinoa
- ½ cup cooked corn
- 1 tbs. chopped cilantro
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the salsa:
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 small peaches, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt to taste
1. In a small saucepan, heat the quinoa and ½ cup water until the water has dissolved and the quinoa is cooked (about 15 minutes). Let cool.
2. While the quinoa cools, prepare the salsa. Combine the peaches, avocado, and tomatoes in a bowl. Stir in the lime juice and salt to taste. Stick the salsa in the fridge to chill.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, corn, cilantro, beaten eggs, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper.
4. Heat a sauté pan on medium heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray. Form the quinoa mixture into small patties about 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Spray one side of each cake with cooking spray. Place the cakes in the pan, sprayed side down, and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Spray the tops of the other side of the cakes, Flip, and cook for another 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
5. Transfer to a plate and spoon some of the salsa on top of each cake and serve!