Can you believe Valentine's day is right around the corner?
Well time seems to fly by when you're having a great time right?
First of all, I would like to thank EVERYONE who was so incredibly supportive of Tim and I through out our weight loss journey. As you can tell from previous posts, I went from incredibly excited to exhausted without a drop of my usual bouncy self in there. Well good mood Kym is finally back and here to stay. I had my pouty moments, I bitched and moaned about not getting what I wanted, but in the end I am getting what I want. A clean new slate, no more hearing, why don't you get on a treadmill you're at risk for heart disease and diabetes, now it's, where do you work out? What kind of vitamins and shakes are you taking?
If you know anything about me I LOVE sweets. As a kid I enjoyed fruit by the foot and fruit roll ups, devouring each individual pack in seconds. The first time I tried a natural fruit leather I couldn't have been more than 11. I immediately spit it out. Yuck! It tastes like, like real fruit smashed down into strips I ignorantly stated and continued to finish a pack of fruit by the foot. I never went back to real fruit leather until now.
This recipe not only contains only a fraction of the fat, calories and sugar content in store bought brands, but one serving is almost 50% of your daily vitamin C intake, and is full of antioxidants thanks to the lovely portions of pomegranate juice and blueberries. Still not convinced? Well it tastes yummier and much more fresh than the processed stuff.
Trying to make healthier versions of my favorite snacks has been a real eye opener. I did not add any sugar to the batch or preservatives. It only takes a few hours in the oven and the results are truly eye opening. You can taste the fruit in each bite, you can see the naturalness of the leather when held up to the light. As natural as you can get, without any of the guilt. I thought the process would be difficult or a pain to perfect, but in a few easy steps, setting and forgetting, by the next morning I had a healthy snack I never have to feel guilt about eating or sharing with the children in my family.
I know I've already said this, but being healthy doesn't necessarily mean you lose all of the flavor, it brings out your creativity by thinking on your toes while making you more conscious of your decisions. Plus, there's no better feeling than the moment you realize your jeans are beginning to fall off and you have to make an extra hole in your belt. You realize all of the sacrifices and hard work are truly worth it. =]
per serving (serves 8)
.2 grams of fat
12.4 grams of carbs
1.9 grams of fiber
.6 grams of protein
46% vitamin C
Strawberry, Blueberry & Pomegranate Fruit Leather
- 2 cups of chopped strawberries
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1 cup of natural pomegranate juice
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 a lemon squeezed
- Place strawberries, blueberries and pomegranate juice and water in a pan over high heat. Cook down and mash for 10-15 minutes. Lower heat to medium low for another 10-15 (a total of about a half hour, could be more or less depending on the strength of your stove) until it becomes a thick syrup, do not let it burn!
- Transfer contents of pan into a blender, add lemon juice, puree until smooth.
- Transfer from blender onto a small sheet pan (I used 10x12, but spilled a bit of the mixture, it must be about an 1/8 inch thick, so if your sheet is too thick, use a larger sheet pan) lined lined with saran wrap (make sure the saran wrap does not cover the mixture or it will not dry properly, I used microwave safe, you may opt to use parchment paper too)
- With a rubber spatula, spread mixture EVENLY (or it won't dry properly)
- Fruit leather recipes usually require using a fruit dehydrator or placing in a 140 degree oven for 8-12 hours (overnight) My oven doesn't go that low, and since this is an original recipe, I placed it in the oven for about 5-6 hours at 170 degrees. When the mixture cannot be moved anymore, it is dry and ready. Roll using the saran wrap to prevent sticking when it's warm enough to be touched. Store in a cool dry place in tupperware. Serves 8.